My Photo
Name:
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia, United States

Monday, September 06, 2004

Wonder Boys

I have watched movies for a long time and even worked at a video store for 5 years. The problem is I never knew what to say about the films I have seen. So here it is, my try to be Roger Ebert.

Directed by: Curtis Hanson

Starring;
Michael Douglas
Tobey Maguire
Frances McDormand
Katie Holmes
Robert Downey Jr.

The first thing that drew me to this movie was Curtis Hanson. After seeing L.A. Confidential it was a natural reaction. The film finds Grady Tripp (Douglas) having his wife leave him(who we never meet) and his lover(McDormand) pregnant. Douglas plays a teacher that once wrote a great book and is living off that fame. His students all want to learn from the great writer. His live-in student played by Katie Holmes thinks the world of him. There is also an attaction that is played up there, but never fully develops.

The best character in the movie is by far Tobey Maguire. Long before Spiderman or Seabiscuit was this great role that not many people saw. This was a string of really good roles for him. He always seems to play these really lovable characters like in Pleasentville and Cider House Rules. Magure plays a James Leer a student that is troubled, but a very talented writer. The story revolves around the misadventures of Grady and James. One scene that really grabs you is the early at a party for all these writers. Grady walks outside to find young James standing out in the cold. I knew the film would be one that I would like by the last couple of lines of scene.

Grady: Do you want to go inside. It is cold out here.
James: Well it is cold in there to.

A real look at human emotion. James would rather be outside in the cold than inside with all the fake cold people. There are many other great lines throughout the movie.

Each character is developed well expect for the Holmes. She is underused in her role, but does a nice job. The cast is rounded out by Frances McDormand and Robert Downey Jr. Downey is truely a gifted actor, but it is too bad that he continues to get in trouble. Both of their characters are well thought and provide good support for the lead cast.

This was Hanson's first film since L.A. Confidential and it was a good choice. The film contains real good pacing and the it looks very crisp.

This is the part of the film that I give it a rating. I hate the star system or grades, so I am going to give it a numerical rating.

When I go to a movie all I want is to have a good time. Sometimes a film comes out that really makes an impact on me. For example: Films like Star Wars would be in the 90's.


Wonder Boys score: 85

I might revisit the score later, but for right now I think it is a good start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home